The QHC Board approves submission of 3.1 - the next step in planning for a new QHC Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital
At today's meeting, the Quinte Health Care (QHC) Board of Directors approved the submission of the Stage 3.1 design to the Health Investment and Capacity Branch of the Ministry of Health (MOH).
The Stage 3.1, which started in early July 2020, develops preliminary design details including:
- Architectural Design Brief: site layout, building block design (floor plans), proposed structural systems and finishes. The brief also provides a framework for developing and evaluating sustainability options, which will be considered in the upcoming Stage 3.2 submission.
- Electrical/Mechanical, Design Briefs: provides building infrastructure requirements for HVAC, power and lighting, medical support and IT infrastructure.
- Updated phasing and construction schedules, and an updated cost estimate.
The Stage 3.1 submission was completed on schedule in mid-December 2020 and required QHC Board approval ahead of submission to MOH.
Updated anticipated timelines:
- The Stage 3.1 report will now be submitted to the Ministry of Health MOH. Approval is expected in the summer of this year.
- The Stage 3.2 design will start once approval of 3.1 is received and will require 10 months to complete.
- Based on current information the final project completion date will be approximately fall of 2027.
"We are thrilled to be continuing to move forward with a new QHC Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital and for the support of our project partners, our local MPP Todd Smith and the province," explains Carol Smith Romeril, Vice President and Chief Nursing Officer, Quinte Health Care.
"QHC was originally hoping the new hospital for Prince Edward County could be open as early as 2025, but this was an early estimate. Some of the timelines to get through the capital project approval process have been longer than what was projected in earlier stages of planning. It is not unusual for a project of this magnitude to have adjusted timelines depending on the many competing priorities of government. This is especially true in the current pandemic environment."
In the coming weeks, a community information session will be planned to present and discuss the latest design work done on the new Quinte Health Care Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital.