Patient Safety Initiatives
The following are just some examples of our patient safety programs:
- Quinte Health has a Falls Prevention Program that helps identify and monitor patients at higher risk of falling. The program promotes a partnership between patients/families and the care team to help reduce falls, while respecting a patient's dignity and decision-making regarding individual risks.
- After being one of 10 Ontario hospitals involved in the Just Clean Your Hands pilot project with the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care, Quinte Health has now expanded the program across the hospital. It is designed to build a culture where infection prevention and control is everyone's business - staff, physicians, patients and visitors.
- The number of nurse injury rates related to patients lifts and transfers has decreased following a Patient Handling project that included increased education and ensuring appropriate lift devices were readily available in all units.
- Quinte Health has begun to implement the Safer Healthcare Now! initiatives, including prevention of hospital-acquired infections (ventilator associated pneumonia, central line infection and surgical site infection). Safer Healthcare Now! is a national patient safety campaign with the goal of reducing preventable complications and deaths in Canadian hospitals.
- Senior Leadership conduct regular Patient Safety Leadership Rounds to support open communication about patient safety issues with front-line care providers.
- A non-urgent transportation service was created in 2007 to ensure the safe and appropriate transportation of patients and help ensure timely access to care.
- Electronic patient documentation at Quinte Health offers far more than just an electronic version of the old paper charts. Through e-doc, clinicians have instant access to a wealth of information so they can make better decisions about a patient's care.
- Quinte Health introduced OmniCell drug dispensing machines in 2002 and started putting bar codes on its medication in 2007. This provides enhanced safety measures to ensure the right dose of the right drug is dispensed to the patient.
- The Health Outcomes for Better Information and Care program helps Quinte Health to measure and respond to nursing sensitive patient outcomes.
- Quinte Health has implemented an interdisciplinary communications tool that promotes a systematic approach to information-sharing between healthcare professionals.