The first meeting of the Prince Edward County Hospital Women's Auxiliary was held in Picton on October 27, 1934, the result of an amalgamation of a number of Prince Edward County Women's Institutes which had supported the hospital from its beginnings in 1918. Three-quarters of a century later, the Prince Edward County Hospital Auxiliary (which now counts several men among its members) has become a significant part of our health care community.
Led and staffed entirely by volunteers, the Auxiliary functions both within the hospital and in the larger community. In-hospital services target both patients and visitors to our hospital. Our community services reach out to everyone, from our young people (through student awards) for those entering the medical services field) to our seniors, as we participate in programs like Meals on Wheels. Fundraising endeavours like the Coffee Shop, the Second Time Around Shop and the Festival of Trees raise money for special projects, patient support and much-needed technical equipment for the hospital.
None of this would be possible without our volunteers. Our Auxiliary always welcomes new members, and there are numerous opportunities for our volunteers to share their time and their talents in many different capacities.
Visit our home page for more information and find out how you can get involved with our service to patients, support of those studying in a medical field, community partnerships, and fundraising for the hospital.
What did we do with the money we raised or received last year?
- $50 000 in the Spring to the Foundation for improvements to our hospital (washrooms)
- New over-bed tables and visitors' chairs for the patients' rooms
- New furniture for the Mary Catherine Scott suite
- Six new chairs for the colonoscopy clinic
- $150 000 to the Foundation's fundraising campaign for ultrasound and mammography equipment
- $12 000 honorarium for spiritual care to patients and families
- $11 000 for scholarships for County residents pursuing post-secondary education in the health sciences field
- Maintenance of the hospital's memorial garden, in partnership with the Horticultural Society