Surgery at BGH
Day Surgery (patients can go home the same day as the surgery):
Day surgery patients can expect to be at the hospital for a period of 3 to 6 hours. Family members are welcome to wait in the waiting room. Alternately, they can provide a phone contact if they choose to leave the hospital. When you are ready for discharge, a nurse will contact your family member and instruct them to wait for you (in their vehicle) outside the Sills entrance.
Please remember that family members are not to leave their vehicle unattended at the Sills entrance. Patients will be portered to the Sills entrance to be picked up.
Please click here for a patient guide for day surgery.
Admission after surgery (patients require a hospital stay after the surgery):
If a patient is being admitted to the hospital following surgery, the family member will be instructed to meet the patient on Quinte 6 following the procedure. Please click here for a patient guide for admission surgery.
Surgery specific information
We understand that coming to a hospital for surgery can be a stressful experience for patients and their loved ones. The information booklets provided below are intended to help you know what to expect and plan for your stay. Simply click on the surgery you are having to open the booklet. Please contact your surgeon if you have any questions.
- ACL Reconstruction
- Abdominal Hysterectomy
- Bowel Resection
- Biopsy Vagina Cervix Vulva
- Breast Surgery
- Carpal Tunnel Repair
- Colonoscopy: Patient Information Booklet
- Colonoscopy: Preparing for your Colonoscopy – PEG Solution
- Colonoscopy: Preparing for your Colonoscopy – Picco-Salax
- Dilatation and Curettage (D&C)
- ERAS - A guide to bowel surgery
- Endometrial Ablation
- Ganglion Removal
- Genital Wart Electrocautery
- Hernia Repair
- Hip Replacement -Videos - What you need to know about Total hip replacement at BGH
- Knee Arthroscopy
- Knee Replacement - Videos - What you need to know about total hip replacement at BGH
- Laparoscopic Cholecystectomy
- Laparoscopic Nephrectomy
- Laparoscopic Tubal Ligation
- Percutaneous Nephrolithotripsy
- Rotator Cuff Repair
- Sentinel Lymph Node Biopsy
- Same Day Surgery
- Same Day Surgery Admission
- Stapled Hemorrhoidectomy
- Transurethral Resection Bladder
- Transurethral Resection of Prostate (TURP)
- Trigger Finger Thumb Release
- Vaginal Hysterectomy