Have symptoms of COVID-19? Don’t go anywhere yet. Stay away from others.
- If you are able, do the online assessment.
- Call your Health Care provider or the Hastings Prince Edward Public Health at 613-966-5500; TTY 711; 1-800-267-2803 or Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000. 80% of people with this virus have mild to moderate symptoms, need to isolate themselves at home, and do not need to be tested for the virus.
- Your Health Care provider, Public Health or Telehealth Ontario will either refer you to your local assessment centre or have you call the central COVID-19 Assessment Centre (CAC) hotline at 613-961-5544 to seek additional care after being screened. Phone lines are answered between 9am and 5pm, 7 days/week.
- Individuals deemed to have moderate symptoms will be scheduled for a virtual consultation with a doctor (either over the phone or online) or scheduled for an on-site appointment at a local COVID-19 Assessment Centre (CAC). Not all appointments at a CAC will result in swabbing/testing – only those meeting the Ministry of Health criteria may be swabbed.
- Individuals deemed to have severe symptoms, requiring hospital-level care, will be sent to the hospital.
You can easily increase your risk of exposure to COVID-19 and the risk to others by going to the ER or busy clinic. You need to stay at home and seek advice from a health professional by phone before going to a clinic. Click here for the guide for self-isolation provided by public health.
Click here for a self-isolation guide for caregivers, household members and close contacts
Only if your symptoms are severe, causing difficulty breathing, would you need to be assessed at hospital and should call EMS for assistance rather than present to a hospital emergency department on your own.
Screening: We are proactively screening patients at all of our hospitals. What does that mean for you? On arrival to our hospitals, patients will be asked:
- If they have any symptoms associated with COVID-19, particularly fever, cough or difficulty breathing.
- Whether they have traveled outside of Canada in the past 14 days.
- If they have come in contact with someone who has or is suspected of having COVID-19.
- If they’ve been in close contact with a person with acute respiratory illness who traveled to one of the affected areas in the 14 days before their symptoms started.
If they are at risk of having the virus, they will be asked to clean their hands, put on a mask and be taken to a special isolation room until they can be further assessed.
As always, but even more so with so many viruses circulating in our community, the importance of hand hygiene cannot be stressed enough. Please clean your hands frequently - on arrival to the hospital, before entering a patient's room (if you're visiting), upon exiting a patient's room, when leaving the hospital, and any number of times in between.
Some non-emergent outpatient activity and elective surgeries will be postponed. Patients impacted will be contacted directly in the coming days. We apologize for the inconvenience this may cause. Click here for more information.
Visitor and entrance restrictions have been implemented at QHC hospitals. Click here to find out about Visitor Restrictions to QHC Hospitals.
Health records will not be accepting in-person requests at this time. Click here for more information on requesting patient records.
The Quinte Children's Treatment Centre has temporarily discontinued all in-person appointments including preschool speech and language services. Click here for more information.
All in-hospital volunteer activity at QHC hospitals has been temporarily suspended in order to minimize the risk to our dedicated volunteers and to further reduce the number of individuals coming in and out of the hospitals at this time.
The TMH Foundation office will be closed, but the dedicated team continues their work remotely. It’s business as usual as they will have access to voicemails, emails and files. If you have any questions please call 613-392-2540 ext 5403 and leave a detailed message with your name and telephone number or send email to firstname.lastname@example.org.