HistoryThe first step toward establishing a hospital in Prince Edward County was taken by a community organization, the Sir Thomas Picton Chapter, Imperial Order Daughters of the Empire. In June of 1908 the members agreed to contribute money toward this project. Many other groups and individuals joined in this effort.
The "Prince Edward County Hospital" was incorporated on April 6, 1918. It was officially opened as a nine-bed hospital with an operating room in the George Alcorn House on Hill Street in Picton on April 17, 1919. Having grown to a 58-bed hospital, it was moved to its present location, was renamed "Prince Edward County Memorial Hospital" and was officially opened and dedicated on October 14, 1959.
The hospital became known as "Quinte Health Care Prince Edward County Memorial" upon the amalgamation of the hospitals in Bancroft, Belleville, Picton, and Trenton in November 1998.